About Grand Monarque Legend
Origins from the 20th century
The existence of the Grand Monarque in Chartres is attested since the 17th century. The establishment is then called Auberge Sainte-Barbe and welcomes merchants and other travellers, particularly during the period of the « Foire aux Barricades ». At the end of the century, the inn becomes a post house and remains as such throughout the 18th century. Indeed, the geographical position of Chartres makes it an ideal stop, midway between Paris and the Loire, between the regions of the west, Orléanais, Anjou, the Maine and the Touraine.
Prestigious guests therefore throng to the Grand Monarque, which takes its name from King Henry IV, only King of France crowned in the cathedral of Chartres in 1594. Amongst these well-known travellers, throughout the centuries visited the Empress Marie-Louise, the Austrian Archduke François-Ferdinand of Habsburg, Marshal Lyautey, the writer Rudyard Kipling, the Duke of Westminster, Anatole France, Adolphe Thiers…
From this precious heritage, the BEST WESTERN Hôtel Grand Monarque has kept its authenticity while providing the modern touches necessary to meet the needs of our guests.